WHEN I BYPASSED IKEA

Shilparamam is everything that Google had promised. And if I hadn’t looked it up, the cultural symbols at the entrance underscored the handicraft village that lay within. The inspiration for a cultural timeout had struck me somewhere in the middle of the 2-day corporate workshop. It had wavered a little at the sight of IKEA enroute, and I almost asked the taxi to stop there instead. But, I bit my tongue. And here I was to soak in the government’s attempt to encourage traditional crafts.


Rings, necklaces, authentic pearls, shouts one.

Real pashmina, durrhies, calls out another.

I continue my stroll through the lanes of the village. There is another hour to kill before heading for lunch. The calls follow me but I ignore them.

A shop piled high with wooden mantle pieces and toys grabs my eye and I wait for him to call out. He catches my eye, holds my gaze for a second and returns to scrolling Insta stories on his phone. He’s smart, the boy, like his phone. He recognises me for the wanderer I am, to see, feel, ooh and aah but unlikely buy.

I’ll show him.

I straighten my shoulders, turn my nose up and stride towards one of the others. Those who haven’t dismissed me as a wanderer. Those naive ones, who think they can trap my roving eye. A few minutes later I step out clutching a paper bag of danglers and beads and bling. I glance at the boy with the phone. He’s seen me. And my bag of purchases too. His nostrils flare in a snort and if a thought cloud hung over his head, it would have an image of him slow-clapping at me.

Should have gone to IKEA. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHEN I FELT LIKE I HAD ARRIVED

WHEN I WAS LEFT ALONE

WHEN NEW TITLES WERE BESTOWED