WHEN IT ALL GLITTERED

What do you mean by sprinkled with 24K gold dust? K asked the waitress her finger scrolling down the variety of teas and coffees listed on the menu.

Gold dust is sprinkled on the tea, ma’am.

No, but what is it made of?

Umm… gold, ma’am.

I looked at M and we both rolled our eyes.

And how does that taste? K asked her.

I am considering jumping into the conversation to help out the waitress. But I figure she is probably used to all these questions about gold, working at the Burj al Arab where all that glitters is gold. Gold paint, gold TV screens, gold thread upholstery, gold shop facades – the place would give King Midas an identity crisis.

We have indulged our pockets in a not-worth-its-miniscule-weight-in-gold high tea of assorted tiny sandwiches on gold platters and pastries garnished with gold leaf. I remember from my science lesson that gold falls under the heavy metal category. Not when it is consumed I realize. It rests lightly in the stomach and has me fantasizing about a light-on-the-pocket dinner.


The gold-laced cappuccino arrives. I half expect the waitress to also bring a gold channi for us to strain out the gold dust and test it on our palate rather than assault her with more questions.

What a rip-off! It tastes just like a regular cappuccino, says K after the first sip.

Our coffees downed, we make our way back through the lobby. The gold does not blind my eye as much. Perhaps the eyes have got accustomed. Or perhaps it is the fact that now, I have interiors of gold too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHEN I FELT LIKE I HAD ARRIVED

WHEN I WAS LEFT ALONE

WHEN NEW TITLES WERE BESTOWED